Author Topic: VHF Radio Mount Location  (Read 11896 times)

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
VHF Radio Mount Location
« on: February 12, 2016, 02:32:50 pm »
Where did you mount yours?
MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

stinger390x

Re: VHF Radio Mount Location
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 09:16:25 pm »
I have a chartplotter and radio combination. Great unit but unfortunately Standard Horizon stopped making them ???
I mounted it just to the left of my instrument cluster. I can still lift the plexiglass cover of the instrument panel without hitting anything.

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 08:14:56 am »
Very Nice!
MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

stinger390x

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 08:03:34 pm »
You have a 260 correct?

You can mount the radio just to the right of the driver seat just below the small console for the switches. If you do this then also place the antenna on the starboard side. I recommend a shorter base loaded coil type antenna so you don't have a huge whip hanging off the side of the boat. With the antenna being so close to the radio you can keep a short coax and have less line loss in the feedline.
Under no circumstanses should you coil the extra coax in a loop as this causes a magnetic coil effect and will ruin radio transmission and give you a high SWR (standing wave ratio)

The other place is just above the cabin door area. The radio could fit on the dash but this will leave it exposed to he sun and maybe you don't want this?

If you need any help with the radio stuff I am an expert. All newer type radios have "DSP" for distress calls. This is easily identifiable with the little red lift door and a button underneath. It's easy to register your boat and personal info to the government and they will give you a number. You punch it into the radio and it is like a fingerprint. (No one else can use your radio) Be careful when programming the radio as you only have three try's. If you screw up you need to send the nrig back to the manufacturer for reset.
Many of the newer radios also have adapter wires to attach a GPS so it will use the NMEA input to give location. this is essential when you are in trouble.

I used to run the radio store at our marina for many years and did lots of installs for customers.

Hope that helps...?

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 03:53:28 pm »
260, yes!

I have a Shakespeare 5200 whip, sadly there is no great mounting location with an Arch. Even is I lay it back, all the angles are just a little wrong for a simple "lay down"

I am still looking for a radio, and may go with a New Uniden (or something close).  The GPS antenna would be a nice touch.  Unless I get a Great deal on an older radio.

I believe the last one was mounted below the stereo just inside the door to the Cuddy, and I have debated on putting it below or moving it to the console. 

10-4 on the other info! (great stuff)

MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL