Author Topic: Drain Plug  (Read 7355 times)

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
Drain Plug
« on: January 25, 2016, 10:14:44 am »
OK...the next dumb question of the day..

So far I have not found where the previous owner might have left the drain plug...

Any suggestions on what I will need?  I have never used a screw-in plug before. 
They may be standardized, but I would rather not take a chance ...I rather ask the experts (you guys)
MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

stinger390x

Re: Drain Plug
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 08:33:42 am »
Go to any Marina and get a screw-in plug. They are standard and usually in a big glass jar on the counter. They only cost a buck or so and are factory original on all Stingers.

DO NOT USE THE RUBBER SCREW TYPE COMPRESSION PLUGS AS THEY ARE USELESS!

When you pull the boat out of the water onto the trailer then pull the plug and drain what water is left by the bilge pump when the boat is on an angle on the ramp.

I leave my plug in the door pouch of the truck so I always know where it is. When the boat is launched I have it at the ready just before I back into the ramp. If you park your boat in the driveway or somewhere between uses, keep  the tounge of the trailer high so the boat always drains rain water. That is why I never leave the plug  in the boat unless it is in the water.

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 08:46:11 am »
Gotcha... if they are that cheap I will but two or three.

I see:

Chrome Plated Brass (Square Head) with Bass $12.99
Brass (Loop style) with Base $9.99
and Nylon (Loop Style) $2.99 (this is threaded not expandable)

I think I like that loop style, both for storage and ease of installation/removal 

MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

stinger390x

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 09:11:20 am »
Our Marian store has a fish bowl next to the cash register on the main table full of these plugs. I always carry two just in case.
I even made a special wrench out of an old "Speed wrench" and welded a socket on the end backwards that fits the face of the plug. Now when I launch, I just grab a plug from the door pouch on the truck and spin the plug in before running on to the launch ramp.

My buddies boat has two plugs as he has a stringer divider going right down the middle of the hull. There is one plug either side of the stringer. It's a 40'Profile