Author Topic: trsiler tounge ration / percent  (Read 17437 times)

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
trsiler tounge ration / percent
« on: November 12, 2015, 10:24:38 am »
I get a lot of variation for tongue weight. 

10%, 5-7%, etc

with a Stinger 260 what weight or ratio would be best?

I am looking at putting triple axles under my trailer (I would rather go dual, but I found a deal)
MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

stinger390x

Re: trsiler tounge ration / percent
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 01:22:48 pm »
For the 260 you only need a dual axle.
Tongue weight is not determined by length but by where you set the boat for balance. On the tongue is a winch and stopper plate which should be movable.
Bunks are the best system, as I never trusted rollers. Bunks spread the weight more evenly and don't dent the hull like rollers over the long term.

Tongue weight should be considered for the type of hitch you have and the tow vehicle. It should ideally not exceed 750lbs and this is with a class III or class IV hitch. if you have a dually and run a class V "Titan" hitch - you have no issues.

Weight of a 260 does not need a tri-axle as the boat wety is only about 7500lbs. A tri axle is necessary for heavy boats starting at 9500 and up because each axle should hold approximately 2000lbs each.

If your bunks are set right for height and weight distribution, you can put the 260 on a dual axle and set the front for a mere 200lb tongue weight with ease.

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 12:00:44 pm »
I rolled the rig across the scales the day I bought it... the truck was on one pad the trailer on the other
the Boat/trailer popped at 8060 I believe it was.  Sadly I did not have time to cut it loose for a second weight

No fuel or extras onboard

With fuel I was counting on 10000 as a safety limit, not that is should ever weigh that. 

MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

stinger390x

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 10:03:11 am »
Wow!!!
My 390x is only 9600 dry! How can a 260 which should only be 7150 weigh 10000?

I would double check that weigh ticket. It should get you truck and trailer separate weights, if not, go to any truck stop and weigh on a "CAT" scale. It will cost your $10.50 but will give you weight for each individual axle.

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 07:59:31 am »
I will pull the ticket on it. 

I know the trailer is a bit more heavy than most...or I suspect.
MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 02:29:32 pm »
Here is the Up close of the ticket
MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

stinger390x

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 08:28:43 pm »
Wow! That must be a cast iron trailer or your hull is saturated in water?

I guess I'm just used to aluminum trailer weights?

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 09:22:34 am »
The truck is a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 four-door the trailer was not cut loose (due to time constraints and lack of a functioning trailer jack), but it gave me a rough idea.

I need to take it to a scale and cut it loose.  there is no doubt it will be dried out next time.

And YES I have no doubt this trailer is a beast, at almost 30' of 6-1/2" C channel steel...I whish I could afford an aluminum trailer!
MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

stinger390x

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 10:33:06 am »
Well I'm not sure what your GVRW's are where you live but it's darn close to Ontario standards.
We max out a 10 grand and then you need license update for anything heavier.

I had to go get my AZ class (CDL in the States) just so I could haul my own vessel down the road. Reason... third axle and 12 grand for gross. I argued with the MTO cop that my boat was still under the 10 grand at 9600 but he looked at the sticker on the trailer and it was rated for 12 grand so he said I had to get an upgrade on my license.

Guy was just a dick! I guess it varies where you live but check it out or it's "Ticket time"

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 11:28:51 am »
On October 26, 1986, Congress passed the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986. This law requires each state to meet the same minimum standards for commercial driver licensing. The standards require commercial motor vehicle drivers to get a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). You must have a CDL to operate any of the following commercial motor vehicles:

Class A Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. May also operate a three-wheel vehicle (excluding a two-wheel motorcycle with a side car).

Class B Any single unit vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR. May also operate a three-wheel vehicle (excluding a two-wheel motorcycle with a side car).

Class C Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that are not Class A or B vehicles, but either designed to transport sixteen or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F). May also operate a three-wheel vehicle (excluding a two-wheel motorcycle with a side car).

South Carolina Code of Laws, Section 56-1-2030, Item 16, defines gross vehicle weight rating as:
Gross vehicle weight rating means the actual weight or the value specified by the manufacture as the maximum loaded weight of a single or a combination vehicle. The gross vehicle weight rating of a combination vehicle (referred to as gross combination weight rating) is the gross vehicle weight rating of the power unit plus the gross vehicle weight rating of the towed unit.
MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 11:34:27 am »
There are some other fees that would come into play based on the loads you pull...

I think this would cause an up-fee on my plate.  But it is based on the weight and tacked onto the plate fee for the truck you are pulling with.

SOOOOOOOOO

If I pay the fee, and I use another truck that has not paid the fee, there could be a ticket...
that kinda sucks.
MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

stinger390x

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 09:19:44 pm »
I find it strange that old farts with thick glasses no experience drive 48 foot motorhomes with a basic "G" license (the lowest grade) and if I have a third axle I have to get qualified for a tractor trailer combination?!?!?!?!?!?

Yet these old farts drive these half million dollar motor homes towing a box trailer and then a small fishing boat behind that, and still they never get pulled over?

My biggest pet peve is that they haul a small car behind them on a dolly but no taillights! How the heck do they get away with that?

Laws are so poorly written and then even enforced worst!
The party of the first part, subsequent to the party of the second part...............

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 08:35:19 am »
lol, no doubt!

You should try and get a trailer plate on a used trailer in South Carolina.
My trailer is tagged in Georgia, because SC is such a pain!
MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

stinger390x

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 04:47:27 pm »
They gave me such a hard time at the Ministry here in Ontario I just got pissed off and put a plate off a home made trailer I manufactured years ago.
In Ontario trailer plates are for life so the ownership and plate number is mine and in my name, I just put the plate on the boat trailer.
When I brought the boat back from CT a decade ago, I paid all the appropriate taxes and stuff. When I went to get the Ontario trailer plate they kept telling me I didn't pay the tax on the trailer, yet I had the damn receipt from the border in my hand! They claim that was only for the boat and not the trailer.
Taxes are taxes and I paid a customs broker to take care of all the paperwork. this is a case of double dipping by the government so I never paid them and just used my existing plate for the last decade!    :)

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 02:20:04 pm »
Sad  say, they keep making rules that conflict, and they can not keep up with.  The rules are not made to make life easy for us, and its just pitiful.

MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL