Author Topic: Help me ID this boat  (Read 15826 times)

Crazybry79

Help me ID this boat
« on: August 01, 2015, 09:41:17 am »
I found this boat, but I'm not 100% sure on what it is,  and would like to get my ducks in a row before I approach the owner.

From the side photo, I think it's a 390.  But the Google Earth photo throws me, with the semi moon hatches.

I work for an agricultural  company (aka poo hauling) and we did some work next to this house / boat.  One of the employees saw the home owner, and inquired about the boat (he knew I was interested so he asked the homeowner about the boat for me - so this is 3rd hand).  Home owner said the boat is his buddy's.  He bought it several years previous to this with intentions of restoring it.  It has sat ever since.  The homeowner believed that his buddy had lost interest, and the homeowner also expressed that he would prefer that the boat wasn't sitting there any longer,  but he would have to get ahold of his buddy to find out if it was for sale and details.   He did think it was the same boat from Miami vice - hence why I'm checking out the stinger forum.

Anyone wanna take a crack at what this is? Year?  Any advice on what to look for?  What's it worth?

I am capable of major repairs, and if it's a quasi cool boat, I wouldn't be afraid to do a total restore.  I have the abilities / facilities to pull motors, do fiberglass recores, gel work etc.

ccstinger

Re: Help me ID this boat
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 06:01:42 pm »
It's possibly a 390 - I say this because of the 4 air vents near the rear over the bilge, and the handrail.  The overhead picture makes it seem to short - almost like a 312.  But the 390s did have two rectangular hatches in some models.  From the side, the hull seems a little weird - the drooping strake from the front to the back doesn't look like a Stinger.  Truthfully, the pictures are just not detailed enough to make a definite id - any chance you can get better pics?

By the way - do you know what type of car that is in the profile picture?

Han

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 09:57:40 am »
I believe that is a 1958 Buick Super Riviera Coupe.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:06:06 am by 340mopar »
MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

Crazybry79

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 09:59:58 am »
Hopefully we'll know soon....

archareon

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 02:01:31 am »
can you post pic's of the interior ?

stinger390x

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 09:08:02 pm »
The car is a 57 Olds...

I agree with Han that the droop on the bow and the side view of the way the sponsons are, make it hard to identify.
There is not enough detail on the side gunwhale to tell if it is a Stinger or not. I agree the four vents and the rear rails are quite recognizable, however the windshield detail is missing.

Get up close and take some better pics with a good camera and I can tell you for sure.

I definitely looks like a 22 degree deadrise but the upper deck is questionable in the sat photo as it is really blurry and I need to see the vents.

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 11:00:43 am »
I may get my hand slapped for reviving this, but I would like to know if you got the boat...
MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

stinger390x

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 10:31:09 am »
It might be a 390 but more likely an "Excaliber" which predates the stinger Hulls. They are made from the same molds but modified.
I can barely make out the rear deck area idiosyncracies which lead me to lean towards and Excaliber as they were very similar.
The hatches are not an exact giveaway either.

Can you get some more pics?