Author Topic: Bow Cleat repair  (Read 13273 times)

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
Bow Cleat repair
« on: March 18, 2016, 03:49:51 pm »
Suggestions?
MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

stinger390x

Re: Bow Cleat repair
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 11:21:07 pm »
Only one way to fix that...

Remove the cleat (it will be a ridiculously long bolt) grind the rotten stuff off completely with a #24 grit grinder until you remove the rotten loose stuff, then start building back up with fiberglass. That looks like a wooden round block in the picture??? You might want to make another block out of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood, cut to shape and glass it in.
To save time on colour match just paint a strip up the centre of the top of the hull. It will look new and save on colour matching.

340mopar

• 1980 SCORPION 260-SL
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:59:06 am »
If there is a wood block, I have not seen it... but I would not be surprised.

The picture makes it look much worse than in person, but the damage it there.  makes me wonder if they ran into something or tried to lift the boat by it...who knows.

MYSTERY
1980 SCORPION 260-SL

stinger390x

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 02:51:28 pm »
Yes it looks like excessive stress has been put on it, not enough to break it off but to crack it. Then water got in the cracks and did the rest of the damage over time. It looks rotten underneath from time erosion on the part. Your going to have to grind and get in there to see how much damage is there.

On an older boat I had years ago, I noticed a small crack and split wood. I started grinding and wow!!! I turned out the entire cross stringer was rotten from the inside out. the outside only had a small 3/4 inch crack but the interior wood under the fiberglass was completely rotted away to black powder and dusty wood chips underneath. I had to change the entire stringer! By the way...after I opened up the outer fiberglass I used a vacuume cleaner to remove all the rotten wood chips!!! I was lucky that the boat did not collapse while out cruising around!!!!!!!!!