Author Topic: I have questions about my 87 314  (Read 15301 times)

Aimel

• 423-645-7817
I have questions about my 87 314
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:55:26 am »
1.  Is there a limit to the speed these boats can handle safely?

2. Currently I have twin 225 Mercs and I'm having to have the transome replaced due to rot.  I've asked the guys who are replacing the transom to reinforce it so that I can put triple 300's. My goal is to make this a 100 MPH BOAT!
Is that possible or am I just dreaming? ;D

3. I want to remove the anti-fouling paint ( multiple layers) and want the smooth bottom.  Any advice?

4. Will parts off of a 260 Stinger fit a 314 (use as a parts boat)?

5. The cabin access top (deck) hatch (2) is that a standard size(for the 260, 314, 312)?

6. Can the gas tank be enlarged to hold 200 gallons (to accomadate the 3rd engine)?

7. The windshield, is it a special made glass or is it regular glass?

8. While sanding the transome the first time I found a red layer of gelcoat.  Could this be the original color of the boat?  Or is that like the base coat?

9. Is there anywhere where someone can see the blue prints for these boats?  And does Chris Craft now provide any info about the old stingers?

ccstinger

Re: I have questions about my 87 314
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:42:45 pm »
Aimel,

welcome to the forum - in answer to some of your questions:

5) the deck hatches seem to be common between boats - you might check out Bomar to get new ones for the boat.

7) On my 1985 312, there is a stamp in the corner of the windshield that says WaterBonnet.  A quick search of this company shows it's no longer around - but there is contact info seemingly online of someone who owns the name and/or assets - search and see if you can't contact that person.

8) From what I've seen, the 314s were typically white with highlight colors - red being one of them.  Have a look at: http://chriscraftstingers.com/gallerypage.php?gallerydir=Rogersville%20314 - the section that's painted red seems to be common them on the 87 314s - but in different colors.  The location of the red paint matches where it is on your boat.  On the Rogersville boat I can't tell if it's the original paint - but it has original logos on it, so it might be.  Also, I don't really think Chris-Craft made many of the Stingers in just a plain white - so it looks like your boat may have been painted.

9) The Mariner's museum in Roanoke, VA may have some line drawings of earlier 312s/314s.  I've not seen any blueprints.

Hope that helps!
Han

archareon

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 05:17:00 am »
2/I have an chris craft excalibur 312 SL, with modified engines 2x 7.4liter mercruiser, 2x380 hp in total. My advise is consult the engine manual when you are rebuilding the transom. (the specification of the transom plate/build up are in the mercruiser/mercury service manuals, when you are planning to use these type of engines). Also i have difficulties to trim out my sterndrives at high speeds, this is because the boat is very long. So make sure there is some place left for trim plate at the transom.

3/Hull. There are product to peel down the ant-fouling. When the hull is stripped, and you are very sure that there is no osmosis !!!, let the hull dry out for a few months. Then primer  and rebuild with a total new layer(s) of gelcoat. Hard work, but a great result

6/I can only speak on my experience of a 312 SL, the gas tank compartment is a nice fit. No extra place around it. But i have removed my fresh water tank (beneath the rear seats) and this space you can use for extra fuel. The weight balance of the boat benefits from this option.

7/the glass i have replaced with polycarbonate plate 8mm. This is much stronger than glass. And You can choose the color

8/ is it a true red color or orange ?

Do you have better pictures of the boat. I have stripped down mine totally, maybe i can see some simillarities between our boats
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:29:07 am by archareon »

stinger390x

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 06:10:02 pm »
CCStinger is correct. It is a "SAAFETY Glass" which is tempered and do NOT under any circumstances use plain glass as it will shatter the first time you go through a wave.

As for the antifoul...just hard work on your back unless you want to flip the boat and put it on a cradle? That will be a lot of sanding!!!
Archaron is correct about the re-gelling the bottom. Lots of work but way better than that antifoul!

Now the speed issue. The hulls are realistically designed for 59mph but will handle 80-100 but you have to be careful and know how to trim and drive. These boats will tend to fly and are not prone to the "Stinger HOP" like the 260, 245 and 230's. The 312's are a bit more stable but the 390s are fabulous as they have the weight and length. The 312 is almost like the 390 but with no side gunwales to walk on and of course a few feet shorter. With good props and power 60mph should be no problem.

jesse 314

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 04:01:48 pm »
Hey aimel,
 I also have a 314 and am thinking of converting to trips. My boat also had anti fouling paint covering the bottom. I took a razor blade and scraped it all off, then buffed it all out since my gel coat was alright. Lot of work but definitely worth it. I've had mine up to around 60 and she's handles great. I'm sure these boats can handle more speed, but I think 100 is a bit much. To each there own though. If you could post pics of your transom reinforcement job I'd be curious to see it as I am thinking of doing the same. I know that just a new more modern positive flotation style bracket that runs the width of the transom beefs it up a bunch rather than having those old heavy Armstrong units.

stinger390x

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 09:50:01 am »
The hull design was meant for 58mph but like anything you can get it to go faster...how much money do you have?

My buddy had a 260 many years ago and he spent a fortune on two blocks He had that boat over 100mph and also has a picture of it in a Poker run right out of the water in mid air! That boat was "CRAZY FAST" but the hull could not take the abuse.

Be happy with 55-60mph as that is an average speed in the water for these types of hulls. My 390 used to do 110 but it now has smaller engines and I don't burn 65 gallons of gas every hour like it did when it was brand new! Back in 1985 my boat could be filled for $250 bucks...now it's $1700.
How fast do you need to go? Blowers, Turbos, high performance parts and huge carbureter's just dig into your wallet for weekend fun.

Aimel

• 423-645-7817
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:36:45 am »
Thanks everyone for the info.  I will follow up with all your suggestions.  The triples are installed I'm looking to hit the water in a couple weeks for sea trials to fit the best set of props.  I'll keep everyone posted on what happens

stinger390x

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 08:59:37 pm »
I hope you have one counter-rotation drive?
This will give much advantage when throttling up from a dead stop and the boat will go straight. If you have three identical engines and drives you will have a pull to starboard during acceleration.
The same thing happens with twins and it is very noticeable. My 260 had same-turning drives and it always yanked to one side (not a big deal but annoying)
My 390 has counter-rotating drives and when I throttle up it pulls straight and sweet!
I don't know how the triples will effect performance is all three are same rotating?
Just my 2 cents...