Author Topic: How gas tank is installed in 88 Stinger 313? (gas smell troubleshooting)  (Read 8670 times)

at100plus

I have an 88 Stinger 313 Center Console that I'm almost done rerigging completely.

While working on the boat particularly on hot days I get wiffs of gas mainly when I'm STANDING at the helm.  It's moreso when its hot and humid.  If I get down near the gas sender or the fill area inside the console I smell nothing.  I smell very little near the vent and fill cap which is on the starboard gunwhale a couple feet ahead of the radar arch.

I have the side panel storage/rod holders out because I'm going to paint them.  I'm wondering if the smell is coming up through those openings from the belly of the boat.

The bilge is clean no sign of fuel.

I've just replaced the gas sender with a new one, new gasket the screws have the washer gaskets too.

I haven't checked yet but my next step is to remove the vent hose and make sure it's clear of obstructions.  The fill hose appears in good condition and both hoses are double clamped.

There is no fuel smell whatsoever in the cabin, it's always aft of the console and usually up high while standing.  My fuel hoses were replaced last summer, primer balls are new, Sierra filters are new and have a good seal.

My question is this:

Anyone know how the tank is installed?  Is it surrounded by foam and if so is it possible a pin hole could be leaking fuel and the foam is soaking it preventing it from showing in the bilge or something?

If I can't find this smell I fear I will have to disconnect everything I just installed and pull the console and the floor and check the tank.   Is the floor screwed down with just wood screws? 

at100plus

Forgot to mention,

I was able to look in the tank through the sender hole with a flashlight.  The tank is clean inside and I don't see any sign of corrosion inside or on the outer surfaces that I'm able to see through inspection ports, but I know pin holes are possible.

Lastly is it possible to have it pressure tested while in the boat and where would I look for that service?

stinger390x

Tanks should last twenty plus years.

I think you should look at the hoses as they get dry in the winter and crack. Since you mentioned the smell is slight, I wonder if its a split hose? If the foam got soaked from a leak in the tank, the smell would be horrendous!

at100plus

Thanks,

That's what I'm afraid of, the boat is going on 30 yrs old.

I'm going to pull the fill and vent hoses off hopefully tomorrow.  I just don't smell anything near the hoses.

at100plus

Well, new gas sender, blew out the vent hose, I still smell faint gas occasionally but not nearly as strong or as often.   

stinger390x

Did you check all the lines?
I would change the hoses no matter what. Anything over seven years makes me leary........