Author Topic: new guy from Boston  (Read 8472 times)

TBone

new guy from Boston
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:24:11 am »
New to the site,

lots of information here, just what I am looking for

I am the recent new owner to an 86 stinger 222 with the powered by a 3.0 FI 225 hp bracketed Mariner outboard.

the boat is all black, with black interior.  Currently my plan is to grind it out, and a awl grip it white, with sapphire blue and candy red stripes.  I have the feeling that black will be too hot. 

The boat is part toy, and part project.  Its a second boat to go out and have fun with when we are not running our other boat (34 Silverton)

I will have some pics posted up soon. 

Tom

ccstinger

Re: new guy from Boston
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 05:50:44 pm »
Welcome!  Great to have another Stinger owner here.  I've wondered just how many 222s were ordered with the outboard setup vs being modified later on.  Do you know anything about the history of your boat and whether or not it came from the factory with the outboard setup?

Looking forward to the pictures!

TBone

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 06:13:37 am »
From what I understand about the boat it was an original outboard powered boat. 

I cant get too much details about the boat other than the fact that I no longer has a CC HIN number.  The boat has been issued a Ma. state ID number.  Reason being that the original black gelcoat chaulked up real bad.  The boat was disassembled and painted.  During this process, the hull numbers were sanded and painted over and are no longer able to be found. 

Pics of the boat are in the registry, the pics were actually from my buddy's dealership when they got the boat a few years ago.  How the ended up there is beyond me.  Its listed in the registry here http://www.chriscraftstingers.com/gallerypage.php?gallerydir=Quincy%20222

It needs some love, I will start uploading pics to photobucket of my restoration . 

Tom

ccstinger

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 05:18:49 pm »
Tom,

my understanding is that the hull number is located in two places on a boat.  One is on the exterior transom upper starboard side.  The other is hidden somewhere in the boat.  I've been told it might be hidden underneath an engine mount, but I've not been able to confirm.  Is the space where the inboard engine usually goes just a storage space on your boat?

Han

TBone

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 06:09:02 am »
The boat has previously been inspected by the Ma. Environmental Police Marine unit.  From what the EP tell me, it was inspected sometime in the 90s, and it was issued a Ma. state hull number. 

Tom

stinger390x

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 10:53:38 pm »
Welcome aboard!
Always liked the smaller 222 and 202's. They are quite rare and sharp looking small boat!