Author Topic: Drive rotation question  (Read 7907 times)

supervette79

Drive rotation question
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:59:20 am »
Getting ready to replace the drives and right now both drives are standard rotation.

Can I put a reverse rotation drive on the port side?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:03:25 am by supervette79 »

312stinger.midcabin

Re: Drive rotation question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 12:42:44 pm »
Without knowing more details of what boat/drives you've got it's difficult to get into the details.  I can say that Bravo 1's on my '88 312 are RH (normal) rotation on the starboard and LH rotation on the port.  With that said, years ago I had a Wellcraft Nova 250 and both were RH rotation with no perceived difference from other boats that had counter-rotating (RH/LH) drives. 

It is my understanding that having counter rotating drives is crucial with high horsepower and high drive mounting (on the transom) applications.  The less wetted surface at speed (hull in contact with the water) the more the counter rotation helps to stabilize the craft.  IMO if your boat has less than 500HP each, I wouldn't spend any extra money on getting a LH drive.  If it's the same money, go for it!

stinger390x

Re: Drive rotation question
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 07:23:15 am »
With respect 312 I have to disagree with you.

I had a 260 with matching drives.
I bought a 390X and it has counters. Yes the HP is much more but the boat handling and climbing out of the water is quite different and is far more efficient.
My friend who has a similar boat to my 260 also had matching drives behind his 260's. I talked him into putting a counter rotating drive on and his boat now handles much better, jumps out of the water far more efficiently and during acceleration it does not have the perverbial torque to the left that I experienced every time I throttled up my 260.
My buddies 26 foot now climbs straight as an arrow.

By all means...if you happen to find a counter rotating drive to match your other one, put it on for sure!