Author Topic: new to site, I have some performance questions  (Read 8018 times)

tonejunkie99

new to site, I have some performance questions
« on: July 14, 2013, 12:32:19 pm »
Hi, Dave here" I'm new to this site. let me start by saying, "Hello Everyone"...
I have scrolled through these forums many times in the past, this is an awesome site...  I have always been interested in Stingers. I have owned other boats in the past, but now I am in the process of making room for our next boat. I am torn between 4 different brands. Being a previous Chris Craft owner, I have a lot of respect and loyalty to the brand. The boats I am currently interested in are: Cigarette 28 SS, Fountain 10 meter, or Fountain Fever, Pantera 28, and obviously Chris Craft Stinger. I wish I could tow a 390, but all I have is a 1/2 ton Silverado PU. I don't think I could pull a 390 Stinger, but we have a launch ramp 1/2 mile from the house (inside the subdivision), so I usually wouldn't be pulling it far. the other things I hope to find are fuel range and reliability. I will be running between Miami and Bahamas primarily, so fuel range @ cruise speed, a strong comfortable off-shore hull and reliability is the main focus... I have tore down and re-assembled TRS drives, BW transmissions, and swapped out heads and blocks cams on previous boat's. At this point in my life I don't want to cross the point where performance/HP comes at the expense of economy and reliability. Ok that all said,,, I see the CC 260 and the 310 as 2 options for what I am wanting to do, but I have read where the 260's porpoise in mild offshore conditions and dont get a good wave rhythm, I find it hard to believe this couldn't be a simple trim issue. I have not found much info about the 310's. what would be the best hull and engine choice for my situation, and what kind of fuel range could I expect from these choices? My engine builds on prior boats have not been much over that of a stock Mercruiser specs, but I am a believer in roller cams, better carburetion, Mallory triggered MSD ignition, and better exhaust. I am not afraid to stick with TRS drives. So the recap of my question is which Hull, Engine, drive, and prop selection would you recommend to build a off-shore stinger for comfortable cruises between Bahamas, Miami, Lower key's and runs out to the Dry Tortugas (200nm round trip from Key west no fuel stops)... I am interested in what you guy's have to say... Thanks for any input ~~~~ Dave...

stinger390x

Re: new to site, I have some performance questions
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 06:53:47 pm »
Hello Dave and welcome aboard.
I read your post and see you will be doing ocean going and to Bimini? I would highly recommend the 390 series boats as they are tough as nails and can handle the big water.
You are correct about the 260 as this is a common problem which got a pet name of "Stinger Hop" Mine did it all the time even with trim but it's just the design of the hull and there is nothing you can do about it. My 245 was even worse as it had a big block pushing it and that boat was insane when it came to rough water.
I have been brand loyal to CC for the last 25 years. I have owned a 210, 230, 245,260 and now the 390X I think its a great boat!
My buddy has a Cobalt 30 foot Conduoure and it is as fast as mine but mine being a bit longer handles much smoother than his.
You may not like the Cigarrete as it has a narrow beam-sometimes 8 to 8.5 and rolls in the waves a bit and you have to squeeze by people when running into the cuddy for beer! The 390 is much wider at 9.5 and lots of room to manoeuver. the boat sits better in cross waves and doesn't roll as much as a Cig. They are a very well built boat though!
Fountain... can't say anything bad as my buddy Stan has a 42 and it AWSESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The 312's are ok but I have never owned one. Been on one at the marina next to me and the boat is almost the same as mine but no gunwhales to walk on around the deck. I find that a great plus on my boat, especially when your scrambling for fenders while docking.
The 390 has a big tank of 200 or 250 gallons so your trips would be well planned and your fuel stops won't be as often as a Cig which may have same or smaller tanks and of course fi you grab a "Top Gun" you'll be stopping at every gas station :)
As for the TRS and Borg Warner combo it is practically indestructible and dependable as the day is long. My buddy went from this to a set of number threes and he can't keep them spinning! Seals and bearings are always breaking...... I call it a bad luck drive!!!

oh one last thing... I pull my 390X with a 1992 Bronco $x$ Full Size. I take the boat out of the water to clean the hull about once every three or four weeks and my storage is about five miles away for winter coverage. I drive it there with the Bronco but its back farm roads so just to let you know I would not take it on the highway with that vehicle. An F-350 Dually will do the trick quite nice and that is the truck I am presently looking for myself.

Good luck and hope this helps?