Author Topic: stress cracks  (Read 18215 times)

ncup40

stress cracks
« on: October 13, 2010, 12:33:37 pm »
I have stress cracks on my 312. Both sides of the boat located on the outside at driver seat on one side and passenger seat on the other. Just below STINGER 312 emblem but above rub rail. Very concentrated in about a 12" area. Is this common, or unique to my boat?
Thanks,

ncup40

Re: stress cracks
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 08:03:28 pm »
So I have started stripping the painted stripes off the deck and hull. By the way, it's an 87 stinger 312. The stress cracks cover 80% of the deck, but the hull is rock solid. Chris Craft must have cut corners when building these decks, I say that because the painted factory stripes were located over the heaviest concentration of the stress cracks on the deck. Don't know how yet, but I will fix this problem. I can report my progress if anyone is interested, or if anyone has ideas or suggestions.

ccstinger

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 10:49:19 pm »
Definitely interested in hearing the progress - post pics as well.  From everything I know about the Stingers, the decks were under-glassed.  I owned a 1984 260 SL LTD and it had stress cracks on the deck.  When going over waves fast, one could see the deck "flutter".   The 390Xs have supports in the cabin for the deck - sometimes these supports are bowed down. 

killer bee

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 07:39:58 am »
I was going to send my boat to have it regelcoated this winter, now I'm wondering if I should put reinforcements under my deck. Your right ccstinger , I've seen my deck flex at speed also, infact  I popped the plastic retainer cap for the hatch latch.

stinger390x

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:53:23 pm »
I also have these minor cracks. They actually have a name..."Chris Cracks"

I understand all the 312 and 390's have them. Don't worry as most of them are only cosmetic as mine are. Mine is only minor on the outside gell and not in the main fibreglass as of yet? There is no real crack in the entire hull on mine, but you will have to check yours. I refer to them as wrinkles on an old lady as my boat is now twenty five years old and still in fabulous shape.

I hope yours aren't too bad?

bdog

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 07:57:31 am »
i have a 88 312 and have none of these problems maybe that why mine weighs 2500 lbs more? my deck never moves even when i walk on it and i weigh 270 lbs

ccstinger

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 05:45:35 pm »
bdog - your mention of the weight got me to thinking - if your taking the weight from the "model" page on this website, those weights come from the official Chris Craft brochures.  In some years they listed the weight with engines, and in others they listed the weight without engines.  So, for example, the 1985 brochure lists the 312 as weighing 4445 lbs with then engines weighing up to 2588 lbs depending upon the engines ordered.  In the 1988 brochure, they listed the 312 as weighing 7256 lbs - I assume that is with the engines as they don't break out the weight of the engines in the brochure.

Han.

bdog

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 05:30:14 am »
ya that makes sense still hard to believe that these guys are getting so many stress cracks. mine seem like a brick and im hitting huge waves and coming down on the next ones and my hull make no sound or shutter at all like a rock ..maybe quality control was a issue or maybe its some thing that has happened to the boat like i seen the guy who always left his ciggy tied up in ruff weather and the was stress cracks everywhere around the kleets i think it was a cutter or a champion but still compared to alot of boats nowadays these are built solid ive seen fountains crack down the keel and dont even try to walk on a formula's top deck if your a big guy its like a roof of a mini van. and im sick of everyone saying that this is a don anrow rip off !!  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:46:25 am by bdog »