Author Topic: 1982 Chris Craft Stinger 390 for Sale - Tom's River, NJ - $10,000  (Read 9905 times)

wannabe

Re: 1982 Chris Craft Stinger 390 for Sale - Tom's River, NJ - $10,000
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 09:12:31 pm »
I am looking to talk with the seller.

Wannabe

ccstinger

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 05:05:27 pm »
I'm guessing a lot of people are trying to contact him.  :)  When I find a new Stinger on the internet I try to reach out to the owner and offer to list their boat on this site.  The owner of this boat did email me back - but I don't have his email address as it was through craigslist and they've started anonymizing email addresses.

wannabe

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 10:56:35 am »
Talked to owner- boat has not run in 5 years so the motors need to be gone through.

Wannabe

stinger390x

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 09:37:21 am »
I drove from Niagara Falls Canada to NJ to look at the boat.
I met the owner ...Tony.
Very nice man, and was up front and honest with me about the boat.

I have to say the pictures were much better than the real thing.....although the boat has some potential, it has just been neglected. Tony told me he had other things in life going on and he just let it sit. It shows as the six tires are cracked on the sidewalls and will need 1500 bucks worth of new rubber before the boat can be moved.

The one engine which he says was replaced new with an LS7 crate block looks ok and the cables function ok. The starboard side engine has all original hoses on it and need replacing as the coil springs inside the rubber hoses are now rusted through and showing on the outside of the rubber. The Hobbs meter says 618 hours of use. After five years of sitting I would suspect that the engine might need a bit of work before starting although Tony says the prestone is still in the blocks from when he winterized the boat last. You can use your own judgement here , but I would be tearing down and inspecting both blocks before I would attempt a sea trial. Also many little things such as improper hardware on the blocks ... for example the bolts for the valve covers were not Mercury studs but regular screws! (just my own opinion as I like to use proper hardware when I rebuild an engine) This is just my own small prejudices regarding details...

All the cabling needs to be replaced for the drives and trim indicators as the sheathing is all cracked and the cores are exposed to the elements. It still has original shifters and throttles and I would recommend changing this to a set of Livorsi quad sets or another similar setup to upgrade the cabling throttle and shifting systems.

The interior is old school but in reasonable condition. Needs modernization.........

The seats are still in good condition as well as the upolstry for the back and the day-beds. The teak-surround on the windshield is nice and the glass is good.
The drives are ok but I am leary as to the salt water input? Tony said the boat was always kept on the lift or on the trailer and the hull proves this as it is in relatively good condition. The only bad thing is that the transom has a bit of moisture content of 24% just under the waterline. It seems to be just on the transom as the sides registered no moisture. This means a transom rebuilt for anyone who is savvy on pulling the blocks and transmissions out and removing the outdrives to rebuild the plywood on the transom.
There are four holes drilled in the gunwhales at the rear section where there are four chrome holders for fishing poles. This has been done neatly and professionally and are not intrusive to the gunwhales for walking or astetics. There is no radar arch or swim platform with this boat.
The hull's general overall appearance is good but sun-drenched a bit. There is one small spot on the port bow where Tony said he hit a bouy. There is a slight crack in the gell about four or five inches long, right below the sponson, however the moisture metre read zero, so there is no penetration or water leakage. This is mearly a cosmetic repair that can be fixed with a bit of stock white gell.
Like I said, anyone who can do mechanical, carpentry and fibreglass work can make this into a cool boat again. If you sand and paint the hull from the water line up you could make it into a brand new boat!
The boat has potential but probably best for parts.
I was dissapointed that the dash was different than my boat, as I am still looking for factory Teleflex Gauges for my boat as spares, as well as spare TRS's. His drives were still looking good but he was running a "three blade" prop setup that he says made the boat go quite well? I would be interested to try the props on my boat as I have experimented a lot with different props and pitches and I think I have the best setup right now with four blades???

The trailer needs a bit of welding and fabrication before moving the boat a long distance, as the front pair of bunks are putting pressure on the chines and there is no front bow rest at all! One can be welded up very easily in an hour or so, and placed on the trailer before towing it any distance, as the boat is presently balanced on the trailer with no tiedowns of any kind. (A definite money-grab for any DOT agent!)

The reason you are dealing with a guy named "Bill" is that Tony is not computer savvy and Bill was just helping him out. Bill will gladly give out Tony's number and he seems to be an honourable man to deal with. The boat as I said has potential, but I wanted to critique it fairly and honestly.

My two cents.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 07:08:12 am by stinger390x »

wannabe

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 11:55:41 am »
Stinger- Thanks for the reply. I am not shocked at all by your assesment. This boat needs some work, hence the price. The transom having that much moisture is a real concern. I know the trailer needs help. Did you notice was it 16 or 16.5 inch wheels. Do you have any pictures?

Wannabe
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:51:46 pm by wannabe »

stinger390x

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:01:52 pm »
The wheels are ten bolt aluminum turbines that take a 16 - ten ply bias tire. If you buy rubber for this trailer you need at least ten or twelve ply and a road rating of 12,000lb rate.
I took a ton of pics with my digital. Anything in particular you wish to see?
Let me know and I'll post what I have specifically/

beefmalone

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 02:53:45 pm »
post got deleted. wonder who snagged it?

stinger390x

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 08:59:59 am »
Well they got their work cut out for them.
I was going to buy it just for spare parts for my boat.