Author Topic: Your thoughts please  (Read 13010 times)

Wixomhead

Your thoughts please
« on: June 04, 2013, 11:22:03 am »
Hello, I just stumbled across this great site  :D after stumbling across THIS sad sight  :-[:

I'm not familiar with these boats, or restoration of these boats, but my research tells me this is a 1982 or 1983 Stinger 312 with probable transom/stringer damage from rain/snow that needs all new power, drives, wiring, upholstery, carpentry and lots of time.

Can anyone help me understand what this is, where the HIN should be, what the trailer might be worth, and your overall thoughts?

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:38:29 am by Wixomhead »

ccstinger

Re: Your thoughts please
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 06:27:20 pm »
Welcome to the website - I'm glad you like it!  That looks to be a 1982 or earlier Stinger 312.  She does look to be in sad shape - hate seeing them this way.  The hull number on these boats are located in two parts - on the rear - upper starboard of the transom.  Usually the hull number is either stamped into the hull or it has a metal plaque.  The other hull number is hidden in the engine bay - I've been told typically under one of the engine mounts?

The Stingers are old boats, and if you are considering buying one I would say to get a moisture meter and check the deck, transom and stringers as that seems to be the most common places for issues.  Cost to restore boats like this typically far outweigh their dollar value.

Where is this boat located if you don't mind?

Han

Wixomhead

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 06:56:42 pm »

Thanks Han, appreciate the info and the quick reply.  The boat is located in Braintree, MA about 20 mins south of Boston.

ccstinger

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:03:09 pm »
No problem.  When I see a boat like this, I think about the first owner - how excited he/she would have been on getting the boat.  I think about the memories made on the boat.  Sad to see them in this shape.  Are you thinking of purchasing it?

Wixomhead

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 07:16:01 pm »
I was, but the gentleman selling is asking $12,000 "complete" with fairly fresh 454s with one hydro locked - it's apart in his shop alongside the other TRS drive, cushions.  I think we're coming at this from two very different perspectives.

I'd love to get into one of these.  They are great looking boats.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:25:07 pm by Wixomhead »

stinger390x

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 12:06:08 pm »
Great "old school" Stinger!
Han is correct as an early 80's as that is the configuration fo the windshield and dash of that era.

I couldn't agree more about the moisture metre!!!!!! I looked at a beautiful Stinger 222 that was for sale for only 4 grand?!?! I checked it over and as I ran the moisture metre over the hull the upper section was good, but as soon as I got past the waterline my metre jumped to 100%!!!
WTF? In all my years I have never seen 100% I have had soaked boatsa at 40 or 50 sometimes even 65% but never 100%. I told the owner of the boat that sadly this thing was ready for the shredder. He didn't believe me or my metre and plans to launch the boat...I mean sponge, next week and go for a ride to prove me wrong.

Moisture metre is your best friend and will tell you if the stringres are dry or swelled with unwanted water. You can't tell just by visulally looking at the hull from the exterior or the interior as there are no real telltales like blistering or anything. T|he metre never lies...

You can pick a new digital one up at any Home Depot for around fifty bucks.

Wixomhead

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 04:43:06 pm »

I have learned so much in the past few days from this board and the offshore forums, too.

No question if I find a project boat I am serious about I will meter that thing up properly if any seller allows it.  If not, I'm passing.

Thanks again guys for the info/feedback!

wannabe

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 05:00:25 pm »
Just my .02 but 12k is way to much..... That boat is a complete project.

wannabe

stinger390x

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 11:31:27 am »
I agree with wannabe.
12k is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much for that project.
You can get a turn key for ten grand with no work!

I would realistically offer him 2-3 grand depending on how good the trailer is. Installing an engine is no picnick as I know...I'm doing one right now this week and it's back-breaking!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:54:27 pm by stinger390x »

Wixomhead

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 05:54:45 pm »

Yes, my thoughts exactly.  Thanks guys for your validation.

I am looking at a 2 year project that will cost at least another $15K with most all work done by myself.

My guess is he is looking at a $17,500 boat and trailer that only needs a piston/rod R&R and reassemble and can be had for a bargain at maybe just over $10K.

He will probably end up putting back together to sell as is, turn-key.  I know there are guys out there who would get into a boat like that and hit the water.  Not me, I'll pass.