Author Topic: Chris Craft Stinger 313 (New to me)  (Read 9321 times)

mragu

Chris Craft Stinger 313 (New to me)
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:58:57 pm »
Hi. Recently picked up a 313 Stinger Center Console. Twin 200 Yamaha's. 1988 Boat and Motors.  Anyone have any experience with them good or bad? Absolutely love the lines of the boat. Have done many restorations on boats. (22 Velocity, 21 Superboat, 24 Progrsssion, 16' Superboat and 30 Sea Ray)   Going to run it this weekend, use for summer and resto over the winter. Will post pics soon and hopefully list in registry. 

stinger390x

Re: Chris Craft Stinger 313 (New to me)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 10:57:40 am »
Congrats on the new boat.
Not my "cup of tea" exactly as I am not a fan of centre consoles, but I understand they are very popular in Florida as that is all I saw down there when I visited.

The outboards should make it scoot along quite nicely as they are lightweight.
Any way you get on the water is a good day, so have fun!

at100plus

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:12:14 pm »
It will be new to me soon!   I will be picking up where mragu left off on this project so the first question will be how to replace the missing cabin door?

Gonna be rigging it with my 225 Evinrudes, rewiring, all new gauges new interior and a Bimini off the radar arch.   Want to see if I can make it self bailing and I'll be possible doing some mods like a bigger entry with a door on one side of the console.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:16:44 pm by at100plus »

ccstinger

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 05:16:58 pm »
Welcome to the forum - and congrats on the boat.  Whenever a 311/313 owner is looking to do some work on their boat, I point them here: http://www.chriscraftstingers.com/gallerypage.php?gallerydir=Bad%20Example - gives you a good idea of everything that's involved.

at100plus

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 07:25:36 pm »
Thanks.  Just brought it home today.  Boat is solid and already has closed transom so the plan is just to rerig freshen things up and enjoy.

Biggest thing I'm wondering is how to replace the missing cabin door.

312stinger.midcabin

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 04:24:05 pm »
You're going to love that boat!       I'm familiar with the 312's but not the 313's... but thanks to Han's extensive website, I browsed the gallery to get an idea of what you're dealing with.  There are options for replacing your cabin door and if you take a look in the gallery you'll see various ideas.  I'm assuming you want to get back to a stock looking polycarbonate (plexiglass) door assembly -- one hinged upper and two swinging lowers.  Although it's intimidating, you'll be surprised how easy it is to fabricate with polycarbonate plastic.  It's expensive but literally bullet proof and takes the UV well.  Take a look on YouTube for "polycarbonate forming".  The toughest thing here is to bend the upper.  Cutting and drilling are done with common tools.  By building a homemade strip heater you can make amazing stuff.  You'll want to build a form out of wood that creates the profile of the bend radius of the upper door.  You can fool around with building a prototype out of aluminum flashing used in home construction.  Heat the wood form with a heat gun without causing it to change color.  Using a hardwood (oak, maple, etc. - NOT pine) will work best.  Heat the polycarbonate with your strip heater.  Then lay the poly on the form and let them cool.  The key is putting just enough heat to get it to move but not so much that it distorts.  Again... a little web searching will provide you with many details.  Polycarbonate is also easy to glue too so you can glue on a thin piece to lap over the joint where the two hinged door meet.

Well, I hope that helps get you going.  Best wishes on your project!

at100plus

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 09:41:59 pm »
Sounds like you have it figured out, want to sell me one?? LOL?