Author Topic: I have some general questions.  (Read 12018 times)

Cajun 2 Stepp

I have some general questions.
« on: March 12, 2013, 03:44:27 pm »
1988 260 -
My exhaust exits below the swim platform, but I see some ealier 260's that exits above it - is that done that way from the factory?
Mine are really close to the water line, and I have flappers, but if I were to go to a little more radical cam there would be the chance of drawing water into the engine with reversion.

Years ago I heard of Stingers swim platforms ripping off the transom because they drug in the water badly - is this a problem I should be aware of?

Does anyone have any specifications for the radar bar such as angle, height, material constructed of?

How were convertable (Bimini) tops attached? I have places where 4 brackets were mounted along the side of the winshield but cannot find any pictures of how they look.

I have always admired the lines of the Stinger, and finally got the chance to own one.
Not the fastest or lightest, but it more than makes up for it in style.
I'll be cruisinig this weekend "down da Bye Yuh" as we say down here!
Bo Stepp

stinger390x

Re: I have some general questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 03:45:47 am »
Lots of questions...lets get started.

1. My exhaust exitted above the swim platform on my 260 but are below the platform on my 390X. Most 260's I have seen with thru-hulls have always been above the platform.

2. No swim platforms should not drag in the water as they are (or should be) over two inches above the waterline at a stand-still float, and when your underway the hull rises anyway the faster you go, and when you trim the boat properly with the tabs etc, you can get a lot of the hull out of the water for less drag so therefore the platform should not be any problem.
One instance I noticed on a 230 was a guy put a huge big block in it when it was designed for a small block and the boat was very aft-heavy. If the boat is butchered by someone who doesn't know what they are doing they may change the way the boat floats.

3. Your question regarding drawing in of water...If you have the big manifolds which are stock on Mercs I don't think this will be an issue as they are quite huge and can handle large volumes of water such as splashing from behind. I was in 12-15 foot seas one afternoon with my 260 and I crossed Lake Ontario without stalling the engines once. I had some backwash when climbing and riding down the huge waves, but no issues.

4. Radar arches are made of aluminum and if you find one good luck! They are quite rare and expensive used. I saw a stainless pipe one that a guy paid a grand for so I copied it and made it myself for 28 dollars and a can of grey paint. I welded and bent it up myself and made it fit and put my lights and antennas on it.
On 260's there are step plates on both gunwhales. If you remove them, as they are just a couple of pieces of teak, then that is the mounting spot for the Radar Arch directly behind the windshield bracket and fore of the grab bar surrounding the day bed. I drilled holed in the gunwhale and bolted my arch from under the hatch area with easy access to the nuts and washers.

5. Bimini Tops are attached with small sliding mechanisms and aluminum bars with brackets that slide and fold easily along the inside of the windshield. These parts are available at any boat shop or upholstry place as they are quite common. If your Marina has scrap boats in the back yard, go hunting. I'm sorry I don't have any closeup pics of my setup but I had the short Bimini and full camper top on my 260. It was a two-piece with a zippered centre.

This is a pic from the CC Brouchure which has an Arch.

These pics are aof my 260 and you can see the thru-hull exhaust (IT SOUNDED AWESOME!) as well as my home made 28 dollare arch!
If you look at the side shot of the rear area near the platform you can see a small pinstripe on the bottom. My waterline was about 1/2 way between the pinstripe and the base of the swim platform so it was always out of the water at all times.

My Toys...

My mini boat

This was my old Stinger 210 and I built an arch for it too!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:01:55 am by stinger390x »

Cajun 2 Stepp

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 03:59:42 pm »
NICE boats!!!!
Thanks for the info, i greatly appreciate it.
My swim platform looks higher than you have pictured, so there must have been a change somewhere in the design.
When mine is sitting still idling, the water is lapping at the exhaust, and covers it when I back up, and I'm afraid that it could get drawn in with a lot of overlap in the valve timing ( which causes the reversion of exhaust gas back into the cylinder)
I wouild like it to have a little more power, but I might have to do it with heads/fuel delivery and leave the cam on the tame side.
The more lope to the cam, the more reversion into the cylinders...but a hot cam idling through open exhaust sure sounds good on a boat.
I like what you did with the radar bar.
I have a shop full of fab equipment, so if you don't mind, I'll copy what you did.
I'll try and take a picture of my stern and figure out how to post it.
High of 80 here this weekend, so I'll be on the river getting all of the bugs out of it before the Tickfaw 200 Poker Run the first weekend in May.
Lots of big boys show up for it.

Cajun 2 Stepp

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 04:53:51 pm »
After looking at a few of the transoms in the For Sale section, most 260's exited above the swim platform like yours does.
I found one other that exited below it like mine.
Easiest thing for me to do is put higher risers on the exhaust manifold and plug the holes in the transom and move them up like everyone elses.
Then I can have my huge thumpity thumpity cam and begin blowing up the Alpha's

stinger390x

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 11:00:06 pm »
That's what I would do. Having the exhaust above is good. It washes the swim platform all the time but who cares...it gets wet anyway.
The exhaust sounds much better with the thu-hulls as a friend of mine has the exact boat I did and with stock exhast from the outdrives (no thru-hulls of any kind) NO COMPARISON... Mine sounded much tougher and more menacing!

My small blocks sounded fantastic but for a real thrill you should hear my big blocks in my 390X!!!

Cajun 2 Stepp

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 08:57:18 am »
Mine came with silencers to switch from through the stern to through the prop, but they were removed and now sound good all of the time.
I measured it out and it won't be hard to move the openings up higher, but that will be an over the winter project.
I put over a hundred miles on it yesterday with no major problems.
Love your 390.

stinger390x

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 01:34:08 pm »
Glad to hear it runs good!
Unfortunately I have to wait for a bit warmer weather...sometime next month I will take the boat out of heated storage ans start to prep it for the season. I am usually in the water by the end of April until the end of October.

I can hardly wait for boating season!!!!!!!!!