Author Topic: Stinger Wiring Problem  (Read 8495 times)

pcpalmes

Stinger Wiring Problem
« on: February 19, 2013, 01:25:59 pm »
Hello...  We own a 31' 1983 Stinger - "Honey Bee 111" - registered on this site.  The winter months offer us the opportunity to rewire and also update the cabin.  I am replacing the mast light (dual anchor and nav light) attached to the top of the windshield.  The old unit had cracked and melted plastic lenses, but worked well when switched between "front on and both on."  My problem is that when I removed the old unit I find four wires: two black, one white and one grey.  The new unit has three wires: two black and one red.  And yes, it's a true replacement in that it is both a nav and anchor light combination.  One last thing - our two batery setup powers the upper set of switches that contain the dual rocker for this light, and I used only that batery to test different combinations of wires - to no result.

Can anyone help me with the correct"original 4 to new three wire setup" for our boat?  Many Thanks, Paul and Janine

ccstinger

Re: Stinger Wiring Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:27:12 pm »
Paul and Janine,

the boat is "Honey Bun III" right?  Good to see you here.  I'm attaching a photo of a wiring diagram for a 312 - this was printed in 1985, so not sure if it applies to your boat.  Hope this helps.

Han

pcpalmes

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 08:28:30 pm »
Hi Han,

Thank you very much, the schematic was very useful.  Just a quick update on our restoration project, we've removed the interior and are now ready to begin installation of the new interior, top to bottom.  The TRS outdrives have been completely gone through and refurbished.   Lots of fun work ahead, will send pictures showing our progress.

Paul and Janine

312stinger.midcabin

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 10:33:39 am »
Something to consider...  I never liked the windshield mounted stem lights.  They are typically so short that they rob your night vision.  When I redid my '88 312, I removed the original one, riveted the holes closed, and mounted the common plug-in stem light socket just ahead of the speedometer (to the port side of the compass).  This is adjacent to where the dash curves down so that it is close to the boat's centerline.  I got a 36" long stem light and using a tubing bender, bent a slight offset in it to get the light right on C/L.  This really cleans up the windshield by not having that stubby stem light laying there during daylight hours.  Then at night, it's up so high that my night vision is much more safe.