Author Topic: Has anyone looked at this 390x for sale in NJ?  (Read 15292 times)

Greg P

Has anyone looked at this 390x for sale in NJ?
« on: November 11, 2012, 12:05:08 pm »
http://www.chriscraftstingers.com/smf/index.php?topic=127.0

Seems like the trailer and power would be almost worth the asking price.

Why hasn't it sold for over a year?

Greg

ccstinger

Re: Has anyone looked at this 390x for sale in NJ?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 05:03:10 pm »
Greg - this is an interesting boat.  I saw it up for sale a while ago before the current owner bought it.  It was all in one piece, so it looks like the current owner decided to restore it from the ground up.  I tend to think boats like this don't sell really fast because either the owner is not negotiating on price, or prospective buyers don't really want to get into such a big project.  Take me - I'd buy it if 1) I had the money, 2) I had a tow vehicle, and 3) I had covered (and heated) storage for it.

Han.

ccstinger

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 07:16:00 am »
I've been told that this boat has finally been sold.

Ace

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 03:53:45 pm »
Yes, I am the happy and proud new owner of this 390 :-)
It will ship to my place in Europe. I'll try and post pics when I receive it!

stinger390x

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 01:00:11 pm »
Congrats on the boat ACE!!!

I had my interior parts apart this past summer to do some minor upholstry so if you have questions feel free to ask.

That is a great project boat and you will have lots of fun with it.
Just one thing..............................................Turn the radar arch around and have it facing backwards like its supposed to be!!

I can't understand why people turn those things around to make it look like a Sonic????????
To each his own I suppose... Have fun restoring the boat and looking forward to seeing pictures as you progress my friend.

By the way a little trivia for you... I have the original bill of sale from my boat and the radar arch was a 4999.99 option for that particular model. When you think of that back in 1980's dollars, you could buy an entire small runabout for the price of that aluminum radar arch!
The owner who bought my boat brand new spared no expense and also bought the swim platform too and came with the big engines with the blowers! Unfortunately they blew up in 1999 so it has stock 420's since the swap.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:30:47 pm by stinger390x »

Ace

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 03:57:13 pm »
Thanks for the input! Maybe you remember me, I posted pictures of my Daytona and Testarossa on the Miami Vice board last year and we exchanged a few words back then ;-) Cant wait to see the boat by myself as I never saw a 390 for real before !

Of course I will make the arch face the opposite way, the first thing I asked to the seller was to know if it could be turned around ahahah!

I will keep you posted.

Franck

stinger390x

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 11:47:36 pm »
Yes Frank I remember you well.

I just looked at another Daytona a while ago but am having difficulty with the owner. We are bickering over price... as usual... It's an automatic and doesn't have the dash I want as i want a stick car with the Smith gauges. I'll keep looking.

To remove the radar arch is easy. Remove the screws on the two centre vents for the engine compartment and the bolts are exposed for the arch. You can remove them with a ratchet and a 9/16 socket. You can do it on the trailer and you don't need a ladder. have someone help by standing in the boat on the engine compartment to hold the arch from falling down while undoing the bolts.

Oh yes...I almost forgot. there is a wire on the starboard side inside the engine bay that is the power wire for the light on the bottom of the arch. There should be a plug that you can undo? If not just cut the wire and put an inline plug on the line after. Mine has a two prong plug-one for power and ground.

By the way Frank, are you going to paint the boat? I can send you details of how the stripe package goes as mine is still factory original.

Ace

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 02:13:27 am »
Thanks for the advices.

Yes I intend on repainting the boat somewhere in the future, I'll send you my email address by Private Message.

I have one question : Is the Radar Arch including an actual radar or is it just there to put a radar on top of it?

DO you have picture of your interior? I always wondered what is directly on the right of the cabin when you enter it. Is it toilets? Never saw a pic or this.

Are they all equiped with radio speakers outside or was it post-equipement?

stinger390x

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 05:40:39 am »
No there is nothing on the radar arch except a small light operated by a switch on the right side of the drivers console to light up the sun pad area at night. You can put antennas on the arch if you choose but I opted to put my gps antenna next to the compass on the deck in front of the windshield. This kept my cable short and I did not want to butcher my arch as my boat is still basically all original for 28 years now.
As you enter the cabin the "head" or bathroom is directly to the right. there is a small storage space between the head and deckplate under the fuse panel where I keep the life vests and safety gear. To the left side is the sink, fridge and cupboard space, then two swivel chairs and then the long couches that are on each side. The berth is at the front and very comfortable! I sleep there every night in the summer months as I live on my boat during that time.

By the way...my head has NEVER been used since the day the boat was bought. Yup...still a virgin!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:43:41 am by stinger390x »

Ace

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 12:01:38 pm »
Thanks! Can't wait to have it, you're lucky to live on the boat during summer, I hope I'll be able to do the same!

stinger390x

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 09:40:26 am »
Franck when do you expect to recieve the boat?
I suppose it takes a couple of months to prepare shipping overseas???
Is it going in a container or are they placing it on deck on stands?

I have seen how they move boats and its very intirguing! I knew a guy who had his boat shipped to the Mediteranian so He could play with it all winter after he was done playing on it on the Great Lakes all summer (some guys have too much disposable income?)
Anyways it was interesting to see how they loaded the boat for the long voyage.

Ace

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 04:39:15 am »
The boat should ship arounf february, it will be shipped in a roll on roll off vessel on its own trailer, same type of baot used to carry New Cars in the belly of the boat.

stinger390x

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 05:02:05 pm »
So it's almost like a ferry with the ramps etc. Very cool!
I guess you are exited and living with anticipation? (I know how I felt after looking at my boat and going home to get the money and returning three weeks later.)

Longest three weeks of my life!  :)

Keep in touch my friend as I am eager to see lots of pics and follow your restoration.
Call me if you have any questions.

ccstinger

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 06:37:55 am »
Ace - did the owner have any stories about the boat?  I saw that boat up for sale a while back - it seems like the person you bought it from bought it at that time.  Less than a year later he had it up for sale.  Always interested in what happened.