Author Topic: opportunity to buy a 1986 26' stinger  (Read 9502 times)

dannycool

opportunity to buy a 1986 26' stinger
« on: September 04, 2012, 02:41:30 pm »
Hello all stinger enthuseists, First post here.

I have an oppurtunity to buy a 1986 26' stinger with twin 350, 260 HP motors with what I think is 2 Alpha outdrives. The interior is in ok shape, looks like the seats have been redone, but all the interior wood is in bad shape(its been sitting outside for a while).  Its real dirty but looks like it might clean up ok. The guy says he rebuilt the outdrives and motors 2 seasons ago and it ran good, but this season one of the engines burned a hole in one of the pistons.  He currently has one of the engines half torn apart.

I believe it is an OMC motor? but not sure... Could someone shed some light on this for me? Are these gonna be hard to get parts for? This is probably gonna be the biggest hurdle is with motor parts. If they are hard to find and expensive I might hafta pass on it.  But if they are relitivly inexpensive I might go ahead on it.

The exterior seems to be in ok shape.  The trailer has seen better days, the tires hold air but will need replaced before taking it on a trip.

He's asking $4,000, and is really motivated to sell.  I'm thinking with the condition of it I might offer around $2,000. I was wondering if this would be a good offer for him.

Another question is would this be worth buying and fixing up?  There isn't many bigger lakes around here to even take this thing on, so I'm not too sure he's getting anyone even looking at it. But I'm also not against taking some long trips to get it on a lake if needed.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I have some pics of it on my phone if that would help...

Thanks,
Dan

ccstinger

Re: opportunity to buy a 1986 26' stinger
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 05:28:32 pm »
Dan,

I can't shed light on the engines (others will be able to though).  I can tell you that finding the engine parts seem relatively easy to finding specific CC parts, i.e. emblems, plexiglass covers, etc.  You will either have to custom build those parts or find them off of another boat.

I would suggest checking the transom and stringers, specifically around the engine mounts.  The deck as well.  Any moisture/rot in these will require taking the boat apart, replacing and reglassing - lots of $$$.  If this concerns you, have a surveyor look at it - but for such a low price, might not be worth it.

Please post pictures - I may already have it on the website, and if so, can tell you a little more about it.

Han

stinger390x

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:07:06 pm »
I agree with ccstinger. If the boat was outside and the seats wood is rotten then please get a moisture metre and check the cross transom section behind the back seat in the engine compartment. this is an area that is known to rot and is the main brace across the boats centre section.
260's are great boats and if all pans out you will be happy with the performance and space if your looking for a lake boat or a weekender... and it can be trailered with a small truck.
The engines should be 350ci/260hp if they are stock. If you have Alphas pushing it that is good but try to stay away from OMC drives (I had bad experience with them on my 210)
Later on you may try to find a counter-rotating drive if you decide to keep the boat and go stainless props. Makes a heckof a difference in performance especially if you put a tie-bar in between the drives.

Good luck on the survey!

dannycool

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 11:16:51 pm »
Thanks for the responses!

Ill sure check for moisture next time I check it out.

Are tie bars used only with counter rotating drives? I've seen some boats with them and some without.

Unfortunatly I didn't get any pics of the engines or interior... but heres the ones I got with my phone. 

It might just be a fun project anyway if I can get it for a good price.  8)
Again thanks for the help!
Dan

ccstinger

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 05:24:47 pm »
Dan - thanks for the pictures.  Offhand, I can say that the windshield is not an 1986 windshield for a Stinger - that's a pre 1986 windshield.  It's not the original paint and the Chris-Craft logo on the side is not original.   I also don't recognize the vent pattern at the rear of the boat.  The boat looks to me to be a Scorpion and not a Stinger - I say this because of the last picture and the proportions of the boat - i.e. rear of the windshield.  Any chance you have a hull number for the boat - if you do, I can tell you exactly when/where it was made and model year.  I probably won't be able to tell you, from the hull number, if it's a Scorpion or Stinger for sure as they shared hull model codes, but given a year we should be able to pin it down.  Where is the boat located?

Han

stinger390x

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 08:56:50 am »
Not a bad looking boat!
To answer your question about the tie bar... no it works on the two drives and couples them together for increased ease and stability in steering. doesn't matter about counter roatating or regular drives.
The tie bar sits on a bracket on the ram bolt on the edge of the drive. There is a Hyme joint attached to the bracket and the tie bar connects the two hyme Joints. Tie bars are adjustable and you just screw it till the two drives are paralell. Once this is done, the counter lock nut is tightened against the centre bar of the tie bar and it locks the two drives together and makes them move "as one"

I agree with ccstinger in regards to the year of the boat. Either the windshild has been changed or its a very early 80's model?

Get the vin and Hahn can check out the numbers.

NWC

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 08:44:05 am »
Alpha drives, Mercruiser engines.  The 350 is a very common engine and you should not have any trouble getting parts.

dannycool

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 04:59:44 pm »
Hey thanks for the replies guys... 

Unfortanutly I've been busy and haven't had a chance to get back to the boat... Had a fuel pump go out on my truck, starter go out on the car, and the motorcycle is in the shop getting a new tire put on!!!  Whew! why does this stuff always happen all at once?   :(  Oh well, if its still for sale once I get all my stuff fixed, I'm sure I'll buy it. Well, that is if I still have money to buy it! 

Next chance I get I'll try to get the VIN number....

Hard to get any info on these older types of boats.... but they sure are cool!

Dan