Author Topic: Trailering 30'+ Boats  (Read 14680 times)

312stinger.midcabin

Trailering 30'+ Boats
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:06:29 pm »
I’m interested in hearing about the various trailering set ups out there.  This thread is only about trailering and NOT about tow vehicle branding (GM/Ford/Dodge).  Comments on what chassis size (1/2, 3/4, 1 ton, etc.) you use to pull along with gas vs. diesel would be interesting too.  My intention is to focus on the class 4 and 5 range of 5,000 pounds and up but any wisdom you have is welcome.

312stinger.midcabin

Re: Trailering 30'+ Boats
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:07:55 pm »
I have an ’88 312 with a Loadrite tri-axel steel trailer.

PULLING:  I pull with a ¾ ton diesel.   Tried ¾ ton gas and was disappointed.   IMO diesel’s torque and MPG is the way to go. 

BRAKES:  I upgraded my ’88 Loadrite tri-axel with disc brakes and a new surge actuator.  I’m thinking about upgrading to electric/hydraulic actuator so I can use the in-cab trailer brake control to fine tune and better control the brake performance.

TRAILER SUSPENSION:  One thing discovered on the Loadrite is the leaf springs have plastic bushings in them.      If your trailer creaks and moans when you turn, those might be missing.

HITCH:  Lastly, I’m considering modifying my trailer to a 5th wheel hitch.  (Take a look at my concept sketch in the “Registry:  Corsa Avanti”.)  Seems boat trailers, not including the big racing rigs, are always bumper type hitches.  As the camping world knows, 5th wheel hitches pull more comfortably and are easier to hook to.

jesse 314

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 03:44:38 pm »
i have a 314 on an all aluminum tri axle set up. surge brakes. i pull with a f350 v10 gas and to tell you the truth its way better then i thought it would be. you can hardly tell its back there except for the fact that its super long. my truck is a full 4 door long bed so i think the extra length really helps. i really havent met something i couldnt tow and thats including equipment hauling. my best advice for anyone towing, or new to towing something so large, is buy a truck with a long wheelbase, really helps with stability. as far as gas or diesel, diesel seems to be the way to go as the torque ratings these days are ridiculous, but in my case a v10 gas engine is plenty, but anything smaller just wouldnt cut it. watch your turns

stinger390x

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 06:34:03 pm »
I used to own an F350 4dr dually which I towed my many boats with over the years.
Sadly and stupidly I sold the truck in anticipation of getting a newer one but that has not happened yet. I am presently in th emarket for an F-350-650 series and hope to get one soon.
Right now I still use my 88 Bronco to haul the boat in and out of the water and in the marina area. It will not pull it down the highway though as the tounge weight is a bit too much for my suspension even though I have a class 5 Titan hitch on the Bronco. I towed the boat to it's winter storage last fall with the Bronco and it is only 4 miles away on back country roads, but it was still a white knuckle ride at 20-30mph max.

Any boats larger than 30 should be done with a dually as they give good lateral stability, especially if the trailer is long. My trailer is an aluminum tri-axle and is 50 feet long.

ccstinger

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 05:47:30 pm »
Used to trailer my 260 with a 2007 Ford Expedition.  The Expedition had a towing package and self-leveling rear-end.  Trailer had electric-over-surge breaks and I had a break controller in the Expedition.  But it was iffy - when I get a 312 or 390 will have to come up with a better solution.  Anyone use the weight-distribution kits for their trailer?

stinger390x

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:47:03 pm »
I also had an Expedition two years ago and I too towed my 260 with it.
I found the 5.0 to be a bit light pulling when you get into the hills. It worked ok but it was a bit tedious.
I wish I had bought the Exp with the 5.7 as I think it would have pulled a bit stronger.
It had a class three Reese and towed the dual axle trailer without issues.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:49:03 pm by stinger390x »

jesse 314

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 01:12:05 pm »
i curious as to why ccstinger's set up is iffy, that truck should be more than enough to pull your 260 without problems. like i said in the earlier post if you have the 5.0 or just about any small block pulling power is lacking but should be sufficient, you just go up hills a little slower. i also have a 2008 lincoln navigator and that is basically the same as your expedition and i have pulled the 314 with it with no problems at all. im wondering about your setup, tongue weight is a big part of it, as in where the ball is located, gotta find the the sweet spot, i usually find the lower the better, if you dont have enough weight on the tongue it can get washy feeling in the rear end, but too much can have a similar effect. also if the boat is not distributed right on the trailer that can be an issue. but you really shouldnt have any problems with your expedition pulling that boat at all.

stinger390x

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 08:35:48 pm »
After owning three duallies going to a single wheel drive vehicle is just not the same to me...
I like the lateral stability of duals.
My last F-350 had a diesel with a turbo and it pulled excellent. My older one was good too as it was a 351 gas with duals and it pulled strong.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:38:04 pm by stinger390x »