Author Topic: 222 looking for help on my project  (Read 8730 times)

ibranny

222 looking for help on my project
« on: January 25, 2012, 07:51:26 pm »
hi everyone,i got this boat for free its a 86 222 stinger, without doubt im sure the motor is trash and even if its not im gonna trash it. im looking to go the right way on getting the best but most economical way of getting her running. i currently have a merc 350 and alpha 1 in my storage. Im thinking this is not enough power, what do you all think? waste of time? im not experienced in speeding so i dont intended on speeding much at all(maybe that will change) should i invest in a 454? would the alpha1 work? please help.

ccstinger

Re: 222 looking for help on my project
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 06:16:18 pm »
Welcome to the website!  Sounds like a pretty decent project.  I believe the Alpha One will work with the 454, but will overpower it.  I'm sure someone else will respond here.  Any pictures of the boat?

stinger390x

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 01:17:27 am »
Put the small block and alpha in it!
A big block will only exaserbate the infamous "Stinger Hop" especially on a 22 footer!
You don't want to blow the boat apart with excessive hp. Check the stringers before you mount the engine in and see that it is NOT moisture ridden.

Good luck and have fun.

ibranny

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 09:25:55 pm »
well i know its been awhile, but I've finally been able to start disabling the motor, I've removed it completely. it was a merc 350. the stringers seem fine and solid. its such a messy job so my camera has not been pulled out yet, I'm gonna try and keep a log with photos and all as i go along with my project. Currently i am also rebuilding a small block 350 that I'm gonna put in.it currently has a omc outdrive, I'm debating if i should reuse it, as i have no idea if its any good or not. any advice about this? How can i tell if its any good or not? and what would be the most common failure on these outdrives? Im only hoping to reuse it at this point as finance is always an issue,if it last 2-3 yrs i will be happy.

stinger390x

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:17:27 pm »
Do yourself a favour...

Get rid of the OMC and definitely go for the Alpha. Better drive less problems and much better built!