Author Topic: Boat that replaced Stinger in Miami Vice up for auction  (Read 12618 times)

ccstinger

Boat that replaced Stinger in Miami Vice up for auction
« on: September 24, 2011, 07:46:41 pm »
Today, went to Fontana, WI to see one of the original Wellcraft Scarab KV38s used in the Miami Vice TV show.  It was being auctioned off by Mecum Auctions.  Wanted to get to see it up close - beautiful boat, but personally thought it more slab-sided than the Stinger 390s.  Attached are some pictures.  The owner started the engines as well - I was able to get video of that - posted it on youtube - just search for wellcraft scarab fontana.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:50:25 pm by ccstinger »

ccstinger

Re: Boat that replaced Stinger in Miami Vice up for auction
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 07:54:20 pm »
A couple of more pictures...

stinger390x

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 07:04:34 pm »
Checked the auction site but no mention of the sale?
Wonder what it fetched???
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:43:35 am by stinger390x »

ccstinger

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 06:50:38 am »
Looks like the top bid was $52,000 - must not have been over the limit however.  I realize that the owner probably has a lot of money in the boat.  But $52,000 seems like a lot given the economy.  Wonder what the limit was.

stinger390x

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 07:48:23 am »
Can't remember where I saw a video but a couple of years ago I discovered a video from a news channel where they interviewed the owner and showed the boat torn apart and being worked on. It was a massive undertaking and I am very familiar with this type of work and the extents that may be needed for detail. It must have cost at LEAST 50-60 for the restoration (just a guess) so he must have had a reserve of possibly 75 thousand or more at the auction. This is just a guess on my part but I hope the boat goes to a good home in any manner....

My best friend here just had his Profile rodone with some repairs to the transom and stringers and new custom paint. Had the engines freshened up too. Cost him almost 45 thousand !!! ):-0
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:51:43 am by stinger390x »

ccstinger

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 01:06:34 pm »
There was a lot of interest in the boat the day before.  A lot of people looking at the boat - but I did not see anyone seriously looking at the boat - i.e. checking out the hull, engines, etc.  The funniest part was a woman who had to rub the steering wheel - she kept saying 'ooohhh, Sonny Crocket touched this wheel, give me a minute' - hah!

I did speak to the owner a little - he did tell me that the previous owner did all of the work on the boat.

Still like the 390s better however.

stinger390x

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 01:27:59 am »
Yes I agree... I always liked the Stinger better. Bit more room inside although I like the colours in the Scarab. I love the seats in my Stinger better as I find the Seats in the Scarab a bit low and was not of fan of the "pretend-a-windshield on the Scarab. I love my big glass with the teak surround.
Don't get me wrong the Scarab is a great boat, but there are more features on the Stinger that I like more

stinger390x

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 11:09:48 pm »
Some guy bought the boat....(can't tell you his name though)
He contacted me on another website I hang out on, but suffice to say it went to a good home! The gentleman is definitely a boating enthusiast and we chatted briefly about boating in general.
I did not ask what he paid as I though it rude, but I'm sure it was a large bag of money!

Hopefully we can get together next year sometime and have pictures of the boats together............

viper gts

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 05:37:15 pm »
Man, What a restoration!

maves75

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 01:23:33 pm »
I too have followed this. One of my favorite Exes family lived in Fontana, I had seen this in the water in and around Lake Geneva.  Hey, what can I say?  Nice boat.  But I am a Stinger guy.  Nuff said..