Author Topic: Rub rails  (Read 7156 times)

Laynlow

Rub rails
« on: May 28, 2012, 03:55:56 pm »
I currently own a 1987 stinger 260 single fuel injected 454 with bravo 1. I traded a motorcycle for the boat. Its my first boat and being that I like to work on my own stuff, i wanted something that was a bit of a project. Had a bad stringer due to some previous work that was not done correctly, which i have fixed and all the rails were letting go with huge gaps in the joints letting a fair amount of water in. The hull joints are now nut and bolted and im getting some of the exterior ready for paint but need to order new rails. Im having a hard time finding out what will work and also look nice. Can the rail be done with only one seam? I didnt know if the semi rigid stuff would make the bend and nobody stocks rails so havent been able to get a feel for any products i have seen online. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 03:58:18 pm by Laynlow »

savage

• This is a Bad Example of a fast fishboat
Re: Rub rails
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 10:13:28 am »
When I reworked my 311, I wanted to move away from the segmented aluminum rub rail. 

Found a supplier called Barbour Plastics, Inc. (p o box 2158, Brockton, MA 02305 - 508-583-8200) that sold and shipped me a 100-foot long section of white vinyl rub rail.  The price was very affordable. 
This is now screwed into my hull to deck joint every 6 inches, and looks great.

Installation tip - once the first two screws are in place and firmly anchored, put the rub rail material under tension to keep it laying smooth and tight to the hull.  I used a hand clamp and a come-a-long for this task.