Author Topic: Stinger 260 Eagle  (Read 8867 times)

Epru

Stinger 260 Eagle
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:26:28 am »
Hi all,

I'm located in the Netherland and I'm planning on buying a Stinger 260 with buildyear 1988.
It is displayed at :
http://watersport.marktplaats.nl/motorboten-en-motorjachten/477492903-cris-craft-260-stinger-2keer-v8-5-7l-520pk-trailer-inruil-mo.html

But now I've read some threads about stress cracks and on OSO I found:
before buildyear 1986 no problems
after this buildyear there are those Chris Cracks....so I wonder if anyone has some experience with those cracks for the 260 and is there a solution to resolve it....and then I don't mean just cover it, but maybe a way to divide the force wich causes those cracks.....
And for the engines: I'm curious if I have to search for some special locations or noises so I can figger out of these 2 5,7 Mercruisers are still in a good shape...

And has anybody axperience in building a toilet for the women inside, but then on a nice way, with a wall and a door, not just a poop-box  ;D

Anyway, I'm new to this kind of fun and I really like the old-school look of this boat, but I don't want to buy a bad boat......any help is really appreciated!

ccstinger

Re: Stinger 260 Eagle
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:08:05 am »
Epru,

welcome to the forums.  Looks like a nice boat you are looking at.  I used to have a 1984 260, and it had the stress/gel cracks.  I've seen a lot of Stingers, both pre 1986 and post 1986, and all of them have had stress cracks.  I believe it's just the age of the boats themselves. 

I think the most important part in buying your boat, however, is to make sure everything is sound.  Specifically, you should make sure there is no rot in the transom or stringers of the boat.  Also, you will want to check for any moisture in the deck.  Check the engines - check the bilge to see if it is clean, and I believe you should have a compression check done on the engines.  Check the outdrives as well - check for nicks, scratches, bent parts that may indicate they hit something.  Check the bottom of the hull for any gouges, scratches, or blisters.  You should have a surveyor take a look at the boat and let him tell you what he thinks.  It's going to cost you for a surveyor, but a good one may save you a lot of money.

I've never seen anyone section off a toilet in the cabin - and I've seen a lot of modifications.  I'd think you'd find that there is not a lot of room as it is in the cabin.  Maybe, as a suggestion, you could consider some sort of curtain hanging from the ceiling surrounding the toilet to add some privacy?

Good luck with the boat!  Would love to get more information on it if you have it. 

stinger390x

Re: Stinger 260 Eagle
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 12:00:52 pm »
Hello Epru

Things to check on 260's are the stringers both longitudinal and crossbrace. The big stringer behind the back seat is very important as the wood usually rots there. Also check the stringers carefully where the engines bolt down. Sometimes the outer ones let go as they are thinner than the centre ones.

Generally speaking the boats built from 82-87 are the most desireable and I have heard from the rumour mill that the 88-91 are the ones to watch as the hulls were questionable. Get a moisture metre too and check the hull and transom for moisture. You can buy a metre at hardware or lumber specialty stores or your local marina may carry them. They are about 50-100 USD approximately. I paid 80 bucks for mine and use it constantly.

Hope that helps.