Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 6453 times)

ESCOBAR

Need Advice
« on: August 28, 2011, 11:11:10 am »
I need some advice and suggestions on a 1982 Chris Craft 23ft Scorpion. It is a one owner and originally the owner went ahead and replaced the MerCruiser 350/260HP and installed a Big Block Chevy with a Volvo 290 outdrive. The price is right and the boat is in excellent shape to be a 1982. What gets me to scratch my head is that I don't understand why the boat owner decided to replace the outdrive with a Volvo outdrive as I was thinking that a MerCruiser would have been a better fit and choice. Would the 290 Volvo outdrive be fine just the way it is or in Your opinion would you change it out to a MerCuiser outdrive? Is the fitting on a Volvo outdrive the same as a MerCruiser? Or do you have a $$major operation$$ to make a MerCruiser outdrive to fit? How hard would it be to find parts for a 290 Volvo outdrive? The more I think about it having a 290 Volvo outdrive is a sign of a RED FLAG to stay away from purchasing the boat but I will say it is hard to say no when on how good of a shape the boat is in. So, would the 290 Volvo outdrive be fine just the way it is or in Your opinion would you change it out to a MerCruiser outdrive? Tell me what you would you do if you were in my shoes or any information would be great. Thanks!

;D ;D
??? ???
:D :D

ccstinger

Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 06:11:38 pm »
Escobar,

don't know much about the Volvo outdrive, but know a little bit about buying a boat.  Have you seen the boat in person?  I've generally found that boats look a lot better in pictures than they do in person.  Take the time to look around at other boats for comparison's sake - don't get hooked on one boat.  That's the mistake I made with my first boat purchase - ignored the advice of the first surveyor, bought the boat anyway and overpaid for it.  I had gotten caught up in having to have THAT boat.  I should have waited and looked around.  Looking at other boats gives you an idea of changes between the boat, condition, etc.  You start to learn what to look for.  Price of the boat is key as well - I'd be willing to accept more work on a boat for a lower price of course.  You will never make the money back however - boat's aren't investments.  Lastly, make sure to have a surveyor take a look at it.  These older Chris Crafts can have problems with the transom, stringers and wood-core decks.  Have the surveyor use a moisture meter - be there to watch what he does.  Good luck with it - beautiful looking boat!  Update us on how it goes.