Author Topic: 260 Stinger Rebuild  (Read 11366 times)

killer bee

260 Stinger Rebuild
« on: May 16, 2011, 07:23:53 pm »
I was curious if anybody has ever seperated the deck/cockpit assembly from the hull? Thinking of starting a rebuild of a parts boat i got because the boat i have the fiberglass is delaminating and the gel coat is terrible! the parts boat i got has a real nice looking hull with just a few blemishes which started me thinking. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but seems it would yeild a better job as far as checking for stringer/transom problems and a chance to get a good look at the fuel system as well. what do you guys think?

stinger390x

Re: 260 Stinger Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 03:01:27 pm »
wow!!!

Huge job pal but totally do-able

Things to consider are which has the best hull to start with. Do you have a moisture meter? Check the hull, stringers and gell with the meter and see if they are dry or saturated with water. Obviously the dry one is the one to build.
I am not sure from your post why you want to separate the top from the bottom but It is a big job and you need an overhead crane or at least chainfalls and some swing sets or something.
As for the fuel systems there are access hole for inspection and the tank is aluminum and should pose no problems? If you smell fuel, it may just be a dried or cracked hose, and this means you don't need to tear up the floor, just change the lines!

Some things to look for are wet rot on the engine mounts and lower stringers. The main cross stringer behind the seat is always a good place to check. If your vaccuuming out wood chips then its time to replace the whole thing!

Evaluate the job carefully and see what the boat really needs as what your describing is a big job. I am helping my friend do a set of stringers in his boat right now and let me tell you it's no picnic! It will be nice when we are done as he spared no expense for good wood and proper materials.

Hope that helps?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 03:03:38 pm by stinger390x »

killer bee

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 05:29:53 pm »
That sounds like some good advice, as far as the fuel system, I just wanted to check out the tank for cracks/problems, not knowing the history of the boat. What did you use for replacment wood for the stringers? thanks, mike

stinger390x

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 08:48:20 am »
Bought "Marine Grade" wood from a specialty lumber yard over in the states about a half hour drive from here. Was not cheap but is supposed to last years if installed properly.
Once it is sealed with resin and glass it should be good. We got some excellent fibreglass of heavy weave too and it should be eaqsy to roll on into place and add strength