Author Topic: Question about the 415 stinger model  (Read 11192 times)

tomeb

Question about the 415 stinger model
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:52:23 pm »
Back in the late 80's I was in junior high. My cousin had a boat that was around 42' and from what I can remember the shape resembled the stinger 415. I lived on a lake and he would ride by and pick me up sometimes. MY question, was that boat ever offered with left hand steering? It also had a fairly large cockpit with a sink behind the the helm and a bar and storage area behind the passenger bolster and there was molded fiberglass around both bolsters and the molded fiberglass throughout was rounded and not angular like typical boats from the 80's. I would love to find this boat or one that is similar, I would ask my cousin but we are not in contact. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

ccstinger

Re: Question about the 415 stinger model
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 06:53:23 pm »
I've never seen any of the stingers with steering on the port side - always the starboard side.  Have a look at some of the 415s in the gallery section - specifically the following two as they have good interior shots:

http://www.chriscraftstingers.com/gallerypage.php?gallerydir=Poseyville%20415&year=1988&model=415
http://www.chriscraftstingers.com/gallerypage.php?gallerydir=The%20Protege&year=1989&model=415&boatname=The%20Protege

Maybe the pictures will help.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:55:06 pm by ccstinger »

tomeb

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 09:17:24 pm »
I understand, just wondering if there was ever a special edition. The stinger is the only boat I have seen that has the portals like his boat did. His was the same color red as the fittipaldi edition boats that I have seen, at least from my memory. I thought it could have been a scarab excaliber eagle but haven't seen any with 4 portals like the stinger. I guess it's something thats going to nag me forever, I'd love to find that thing and fix it up. The color was in the gelcoat so the boat was red throughout with teak covers for the floor storage, the cabin door and the footrests for the bolsters.

ccstinger

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:11:28 am »
I'm thinking it would be a lot of work to move the helm to the port side, not sure.  Easier than the earlier Stingers however, because the cabin door is in the middle on the 415s.  Who knows, I've seen a lot of interesting modifications in my research.   Take a look at a couple of the 415s on the gallery page - there are a couple of red ones.  If it was a Stinger, would love to get some pictures of it for the website.

stinger390x

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 04:12:50 pm »
I know the Fitipaldi specials were mostly red and they are very rare. I have only seen one!
There is another boat manufacturer that is extremely close to CC Stingers and they are called "Eleganza"
There is a guy at my marina who has a 26 foot red one and at the marina five miles down was another 41 or 42 foot red one as well. They are very nice and have similar lines.

just a thought...

tomeb

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 07:04:35 pm »
I wish I had pictures. I thought about the eleganza but have never seen a 42 footer.can't believe in all the years since I've never seen another boat like it. He owned a chevy dealership in the 80's so it could've been something custom. I remember that it had smooth lines, even in the cockpit, it didn't have the hard corners or edges like other boats of that time.