Author Topic: small block 202 bow bounce?  (Read 13112 times)

87customstinger

small block 202 bow bounce?
« on: March 30, 2011, 03:59:11 pm »
i seem to get a lot of porpoising around half throttle. alot has been redone in my 202 upfront as far as weight and the previous owner got some good speed outta it.but im having a hard time trying to get a smooth ride especially when there is any other boat wake around. with the added weight in the back and in floor storage/sub/ up front im constantly backing outta the throttle.it has trim tabs but it seems to just make it worse. should i add weight up front?  i feel that ive tried all of the trim and leg positions and thats my only other option.

bdog

Re: small block 202 bow bounce?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 05:00:23 pm »
check your keel to see if it is straight or hooked and is your drive going all the way down u should be able to keep your bow down with the right trim if all else is fine i would look into a different prop.

stinger390x

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 05:02:20 pm »
Sorry to hear about your bounce...
I have spoken to a lot of other guys with these boats and my 260 also had a bad bounce to it. The Kiekaffer tabs sure helped a lot but the smaller versions of the CC's all did it.
I had a 245 with a single big block and it just bounced all over the place. Not a fun boat at all, but incredibly fast! Had lousy seats too?!? Only had it one season and sold it to buy the 260 with twins. (once you go twins, you'll never go back to a single screw)

I don't know what type of tabs you have but buy a good set that are long and have good strong rams. Don't cheap out on this purchase. They do help quite a bit and you will see a definite difference when you learn to trim properly. It's a trial and error thing as I had a bit of a learning curve.
When I trimmed the 260 it would climb out of the water very well and then I started getting the hull out of the water and the speedometer would climb 3,4 and 5mph faster then the bouncing would start. I would lower the nose just a bit and the bouncing settled, but my speed dropped between 3-7 mph. Made for a more comfortable ride but at lower speed you still get around ok.

Have fun....

87customstinger

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:18:01 pm »
i guess i have alot of weight shifting and tab settings to try this spring. thanks for the info

bdog

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 02:27:15 am »

87customstinger

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:56:12 am »
cool site!  lots of good info, im looking for alot of the same results. but id settle with a 60mph and good handling. the previous owner SPENT a lot of money throwing HP at the boat and im trying to figure out a boat that I have no idea whats been done to it. waiting for sunny days to start the process.